August 14, 2016
How Much Pool Patio Do You Need?
An amazing fact is that a person spends around 90% of their time on their pool patio rather than in their pool. It may not seem like it sine the average pool owner isn’t keeping track of time, but it emphasizes why the patio is such an important part of pool construction. In fact, you want to pay a great deal of attention to the patio materials, what you want on the patio, and how much space is comfortable to you.
One of the biggest regrets of those seeking pool remodels is that they didn’t initially choose to have a larger patio. As they grew into their pool and outdoor living space,they discovered they didn’t have the room to do all of the things they wanted to do. This sometimes leads to a plan for patio expansion later.
Guidelines for Your Patio
There are some guidelines that can be followed when determining how large you want your patio to be. Those guidelines are:
- 3 to 6 people need at least a 10’x10′ space.
- If you plan on having a dining area on your patio, you need 10’x10′ of space.
- If you wish to use a chase lounge, it needs a 4′ x 7′ area. In case you want two, the area needs to be at least 7’x7′.
- You need at least 30 inches of space between the pool edge and patio furniture.
- If you have a deck with steps coming from it, you will need at least 6 feet from the bottom of the steps to the edge of the pool.
- Paths and traffic areas need to be at least 3 feet wide.
- A small table and chairs require a 6’x6′ area.
- A hot tub requires a space of 10’x10′.
- An outdoor shower requires a space of 5’x5′.
- Diving boards require at least an area of 8 feet long and 6 feet wide.
- A fire pit requires at least 30 inches between it and any furniture in the area.
- Allow at least two feet between the edge of the patio and a water feature.
- If you want a pool deck, consider that they can be as large as 900 square feet or as large as you want it to be.
Think about everything that you need and tally up the number so that you can see how large your patio has to be. If your yard won’t accommodate everything that you want, you can talk to your pool designer about how to create a space that works with your wants and needs.
Talk to an Expert Pool Patio Designer
To see what you can and can’t do with your backyard when it comes to your pool patio, it is best to talk to an experienced pool designer and builder. This conversation will give you the information that you need to make informed decisions. To learn more, call Shane LeBlanc at 678-519-1501 or email [email protected]